No Indian left in Kharkiv, focus now on Sumy: MEA on Ukraine evacuation


The ministry of external affairs (MEA) said on Saturday no Indian was left in strife-torn Kharkiv, the second-largest city of Ukraine, where Russia continued its assault for another day. MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said.

“From Pisochyn and Kharkiv, we should be able to clear out everyone in the next few hours, so far I know no one left in Kharkhiv. Main focus is on Sumy now, challenge remains ongoing violence and lack of transportation; best option would be ceasefire,” he was quoted as saying by news agency ANI.

He further said 15 flights have landed in the last 24 hours with around 2,900 onboard. “Approximately 13,300 people returned to India so far. 13 flights scheduled for the next 24 hours,” Bagchi added. 

Hours ago, the MEA said India is deeply concerned about the situation of Indian students in Sumy amid non-stop fighting between Ukraine and Russian forces. 

In a statement, the ministry urged the students to take safety precautions and stay inside shelters. The MEA said the government was strongly pressing Russian and Ukrainian governments through multiple channels for an immediate ceasefire to create a safe corridor, the ministry said.


Close Story

Trending Topics to Follow



Source link

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.